Momocs towards version 1.0
library(devtools) install_github("vbonhomme/Momocs") library(Momocs)
In brief, changes from the last version include:
- An unified framework and grammar. Which involved the almost complete rewriting of the package, but it’s now straightforward to switch between morphometrics methods.Most notably, iit “revolves” from S4 to S3, probably less orthodox but more user-friendly (and coder-friendly too). Also a roxygenized, richer, documentation.
- Open outlines and configuration of landmarks. Also a long list of utilities to do many things on (x; y) coordinates, including global shape descriptions;
- New graphics and multivariate methods. Graphics have been refreshed and many multivariate methods are here or on their way (PCA, LDA, MANOVA, MDS, Hierarchical clustering, K-means, Multivariate regressions, Regression trees, etc.).
- Babel. A bunch of functions to import other formats;
- Datasets. New datasets to play around;
- Tutorials. A new and extended version of the package’s vignette: “A graphical introduction to Momocs and morphometrics using R” on its way.
We always wanted to allow users to do all morphometrics in R, because it’s open-source, extendable and powerful.
For the version 1.0 (planned for September 2014) we aim at filling some gaps in methods/documentation, write some gorgeous tutorials and include everything landmarks.
In brief, we are getting closer of a companion package to the bible of my friend Julien Claude, for free and open-source morphometrics in R.